Ana Sayfa
Kavram Arama : THS Google   |   Forum İçi Arama  

Üye İsmi
Şifre

Turkish Law English forum dedicated to Turkish Law

American married to Turkish woman, forced divorce?

Yanıt
Konu İçinde Arama Konu Araçları  
Old 08-01-2010, 03:14   #1
Konuk

Varsayılan American married to Turkish woman, forced divorce?

Hello. I'm in a rather peculiar situation. I married my long term Turkish girlfriend of 2.5 years in Ankara. After we were married, she began to show signs of mental illness (hearing voices, seeing things, believing she had magical powers, etc). Her psychiatrist said her psychosis was because big changes were happening in her life, and it should pass.
It never did, but only got worse. Her family began to blame me for everything, and the father threatened me. After I went to the police, and the American Embassy, they set up a cheap plane ticket for me to come home, and the father agreed to pay. Afterwards he changed his mind, and refused to buy my ticket, and said I must stay in Turkey with my wife. He wouldn't even let me return to the states for one or two months to visit my family.
My wife gave me the money to buy the ticket, and I came home. Now her father is blocking all communication attempts with my wife, and says I must divorce her. I don't want a divorce, I love her, and my hope is she could come to the States to live with me, and I could get her the psychiatric help she needs.
He said he will go to a Turkish court and force a divorce, and sue me for all the money he invested to bring me there (plane ticket, marriage costs, etc).
I told my wife when I left, I wasn't leaving because of her, but because of her controlling father and I didn't feel safe there. I told her that I love her, and really want this marriage to work. I even sent an offer to her father, that if he allows her to come to the states for one or two months to work on our marriage, and it doesn't work out, I would gladly sign the divorce papers.
So my question is, what are my rights? I have no money, so I can't return to Turkey to fight any divorce proceedings, let alone hire a lawyer. If a divorce is granted, would it be recognized in America? If he files a civil suit, would that also be recognized in America? Do I have any option to file a suit against him?
Nobody told me in the 2.5 years I talked with her, that she had these problems, but they told me she had them since she was 16 or 17 (she's 29 now).
Thanks if you can help.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:43   #2
avukat.derviş.yıldızoğlu

Varsayılan

Hello my friend, ı am a lawyer.
As I understand, you have had many problems in your marriage both with your wife and her father, but especially with her father. As I see You want to continue this marriage, But it won't be good for you. Because She is not OK, and you have different languages, countries even religion.
Her father himself can't file a divorce suit against you. but she can.
the court must send you a letter that is saying you are filed by her. Then if you can give answer to her letter and her claims, and then if the court thinks that you must divorce, the court decides to divorce you. This decision also is being sent to you, when it is sent to you, you have right to go on appeal, saying that the court's decision is wrong. Then the appeal court gives the last decision(accepts or refuses) For example you divorced certainly in Turkey,if you appear married with her in American registers, She must to come to America to apply American Courts to accept the divorce decision that is given by Turkish court, then you will appear single in registers. Finally, if you dont want to divorce, you can have chance not to divorce at least 4 years
Old 19-05-2010, 02:13   #3
Konuk

Varsayılan Re your wife's illness

The Turkish psychiatrist is not even close. I'm shocked that he didn't see the symptoms as those of schizophrenia. I'd advise you to seek out a good doctor. There are meds that control the hallucinations.
Yanıt

Şu anda Bu Konuyu Okuyan Ziyaretçiler : 1 (0 Site Üyesi ve 1 konuk)

Forum Listesi

Benzer Konular
Konu Konuyu Başlatan Forum Yanıt Son Mesaj
Divorce - no representation in the Turkish court legaleagle Turkish Law 1 20-02-2007 15:02
Turkish Divorce Proceedings Konuk Turkish Law 1 11-07-2002 19:10

THS Sunucusu bu sayfayı 0,03322291 saniyede 14 sorgu ile oluşturdu.

Türk Hukuk Sitesi (1997 - 2016) © Sitenin Tüm Hakları Saklıdır. Kurallar, yararlanma şartları, site sözleşmesi ve çekinceler için buraya tıklayınız. Site içeriği izinsiz başka site ya da medyalarda yayınlanamaz. Türk Hukuk Sitesi, ağır çalışma şartları içinde büyük bir mesleki mücadele veren ve en zor koşullar altında dahi "Adalet" savaşından yılmayan Türk Hukukçuları ile Hukukun üstünlüğü ilkesine inanan tüm Hukukseverlere adanmıştır. Sitemiz ticari kaygılardan uzak, ücretsiz bir sitedir ve her meslekten hukukçular tarafından hazırlanmakta ve yönetilmektedir.