Konu: Divorce
Mesajı Okuyun
Old 11-01-2016, 21:44   #120
Av. Ülkü

Varsayılan

Alıntı:
Yazan Konuk
I am a US citizen, living in the States.
I have a divorce decree from our court and need it to be filed in Turkey.
How do I find a Turkish Attorney to handle my paper work?
What will my ex-husband need to do?

Thank you for your help.

Dear Madam,

There is not any bilateral agreement about recognition and enforcement of the court decisions on civil matters signed between Turkey and USA. Thus in order for a US court decision to be enforced in Turkey, you will need to prove that the US courts also recognize and enforce the decisions of Turkish courts in practice -which may not be so easy. There is a decision by Turkish Supreme Court, given in 2010, overruling the enforcement decision of the first instance court on this ground.

In any case, you may still give it a try for enforcement of the US court decision in Turkey with assistance of a lawyer. If you will try to go through this option, your ex-husband does not need to do anything but to comply with the court decision.

However if your ex-husband lives in Turkey, an alternative may be that he may initiate seperate divorce proceedings here in Turkey. The costs of proceedings may vary for each, but the second option may be easier for getting a divorce in Turkey, depending on the other aspects of your concrete case.

Sincerely,