Mesajı Okuyun
Old 10-09-2007, 05:08   #3
Konuk

Varsayılan Birth Registration and Custody

My husband and I have lived together in the US for 13 years and have been married for 8 years. He is a Turkish and US citizen. I am a US citizen only. We were married in the US. We have a daughter who is 12 years old. To my knowledge our marriage nor her birth have been registered in Turkey.

I discovered he was having a relationship with an old girlfriend in Istanbul that he would stay with some during his 2-3 week visits to Istanbul that occurred several times a year for the last two years. (She is supposedly divorced or seperated from her husband.) We are now legally seperated in the US and I have joint legal custody of our daughter and she resides with me 90% of the time.

My questions if anyone can help:
1. How can I find out if my daughter's birth has been registered? What is the process to register? Would he be able to register her birth without my signature/approval?
2. If she had dual citizenship and he took her to Turkey for a "visit" could he get the Turkish courts to grant him sole custody and to disregard the custody decree from the U.S. courts?
3. He says he wants to register her birth so she can inherit property in Turkey? I thought inheritence laws in Turkey had changed recently. Would she be considered illegitimate since our marriage was never recorded and if so, what are the legal implications?
4. The adultery charge in the US has a bearing on my custody and support outcome and my attorney has indicated it may be helpful to depose the woman in Istanbul. Is there a mechanism within the Turkish legal system to serve process on her and have her deposed by a Turkish attorney that I retain?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.