Şifre

Turkish Law English forum dedicated to Turkish Law

Urgent advice needed

Yanıt
Konu İçinde Arama Konu Araçları  
Old 10-10-2012, 10:42   #1
Konuk

Varsayılan Urgent advice needed

4 years ago in 2008 whilst on holiday in Turkey my (then) girlfriend were involved in an incident which led to police involvement. We had an argument after one too many drinks and went our seperate ways. I returned to our apartments but my girlfriend stormed off. She threw her bag and it hit and scratched a parked vehicle. The owner appeared on the scene and began shouting and remonstrating to which she was shocked and told him to 'fuck off'. Within minutes the police had arrived and she was forcibly arrested and thrown into a police van where she was beaten and threatened with rape!
After a while I began to get concerned and I called her mobile phone, I was met with the sound of her crying and screaming and also Turkish men's voices laughing and shouting, I ran to find the nearest Turkish citizen I could find and handed him the phone, begging him to tell me what was going on. He told me she was at the police station, so I went there to find her. When I got there she was terrified and shaking, I tried to calm her down and apologise to the police saying we would reimburse the car owner for damages. My girlfriend was still in a state of shock and she got up from her seat and threw her handbag across the room, spitting on the floor as a gesture of disgust towards her treatment at the hands of the police. I got up to try and bring her back towards me and once again calm her down but the police pinned me down and beat me. We were held over night and forced, on fear of further beatings, to sign pre written statements. We were not offered legal assistance and the 'translator' provided was not a qualified translator and did not speak very good English. We also had to agree not to complain about the police. We were led to believe if we signed that would be the matter closed. It was not. We were handcuffed and taken to a medical centre where our injuries were checked, here the doctors reprimanded the police for our injuries. We were taken to a court building and put in front of a judge with the British consulate in attendance. We were fined around £1000. The British consulate advised us that if we did not have the money we did not have to pay, but we would not be allowed to return to Turkey for 5 years. As we did not have that amount of money we did not pay, we believed that our punishment was being banned from Turkey for 5 years. The owner of the car was also reimbursed for any damages to his vehicle, around £500. This is a true and honest account of what happened.

One week ago I received a phone call from the British police telling me that the Turkish authorities had been in contact and wanted us to be taken to court to give statements in regards to the above. We were subsequently sent copies of our statements taken in turkey, translated into English. The statements from the police accuse my (now) wife and I of: defamation towards the car owner, defamation towards the police, my wife is accused of hitting the police(not true!), I am accused of attempting to hit the police(again not true, I was beaten for nothing).
We have a young baby and are good people, what started as a drunken argument and minimal damage to a car then escalated into a much more serious incident, all because of the Turkish police. We are terrified about what is going to happen as no one from the British crown office can tell us exactly what the Turkish authorities are looking for from us. We do not have much money and we don't believe we have been treated fairly at all. My wife admits to damaging the car and defaming the car owner. She admits to defaming the police officer, but only because he beat her. I did nothing at all but was beaten.

Can someone please give me advice as to what the Turkish authorities want from us or if they have heard of similar cases. We are so worried.

Thank you.
Old 16-01-2013, 23:32   #2
Avukat-23

Varsayılan

Alıntı:
Yazan Konuk
4 years ago in 2008 whilst on holiday in Turkey my (then) girlfriend were involved in an incident which led to police involvement. We had an argument after one too many drinks and went our seperate ways. I returned to our apartments but my girlfriend stormed off. She threw her bag and it hit and scratched a parked vehicle. The owner appeared on the scene and began shouting and remonstrating to which she was shocked and told him to 'fuck off'. Within minutes the police had arrived and she was forcibly arrested and thrown into a police van where she was beaten and threatened with rape!
After a while I began to get concerned and I called her mobile phone, I was met with the sound of her crying and screaming and also Turkish men's voices laughing and shouting, I ran to find the nearest Turkish citizen I could find and handed him the phone, begging him to tell me what was going on. He told me she was at the police station, so I went there to find her. When I got there she was terrified and shaking, I tried to calm her down and apologise to the police saying we would reimburse the car owner for damages. My girlfriend was still in a state of shock and she got up from her seat and threw her handbag across the room, spitting on the floor as a gesture of disgust towards her treatment at the hands of the police. I got up to try and bring her back towards me and once again calm her down but the police pinned me down and beat me. We were held over night and forced, on fear of further beatings, to sign pre written statements. We were not offered legal assistance and the 'translator' provided was not a qualified translator and did not speak very good English. We also had to agree not to complain about the police. We were led to believe if we signed that would be the matter closed. It was not. We were handcuffed and taken to a medical centre where our injuries were checked, here the doctors reprimanded the police for our injuries. We were taken to a court building and put in front of a judge with the British consulate in attendance. We were fined around £1000. The British consulate advised us that if we did not have the money we did not have to pay, but we would not be allowed to return to Turkey for 5 years. As we did not have that amount of money we did not pay, we believed that our punishment was being banned from Turkey for 5 years. The owner of the car was also reimbursed for any damages to his vehicle, around £500. This is a true and honest account of what happened.

One week ago I received a phone call from the British police telling me that the Turkish authorities had been in contact and wanted us to be taken to court to give statements in regards to the above. We were subsequently sent copies of our statements taken in turkey, translated into English. The statements from the police accuse my (now) wife and I of: defamation towards the car owner, defamation towards the police, my wife is accused of hitting the police(not true!), I am accused of attempting to hit the police(again not true, I was beaten for nothing).
We have a young baby and are good people, what started as a drunken argument and minimal damage to a car then escalated into a much more serious incident, all because of the Turkish police. We are terrified about what is going to happen as no one from the British crown office can tell us exactly what the Turkish authorities are looking for from us. We do not have much money and we don't believe we have been treated fairly at all. My wife admits to damaging the car and defaming the car owner. She admits to defaming the police officer, but only because he beat her. I did nothing at all but was beaten.

Can someone please give me advice as to what the Turkish authorities want from us or if they have heard of similar cases. We are so worried.

Thank you.

Hi
According to Turkish law, statements about the offence or complain are taken by police and after that the prosecuter evaluate the case and if reasonable open a file against you. After all this procedure the court calls for the suspects again to tell the case and give his/her defence about the file which prosecutor opened.

So it is possible to tell what happended that day and send this via British authorities so as to defence yourself by your statement. Do not forget to tell your evidence in your statement.

afterwards the judge will decide your case.
Best Wishes.
Yanıt

Şu anda Bu Konuyu Okuyan Ziyaretçiler : 1 (0 Site Üyesi ve 1 konuk)

Forum Listesi

Benzer Konular
Konu Konuyu Başlatan Forum Yanıt Son Mesaj
Help needed! Marlena Turkish Law 1 11-08-2009 00:51
Considering divorce: seeking professional advice on child custody Worried Turkish Law 2 07-03-2009 14:26
Advice on Builder Problems Carol Turkish Law 11 16-10-2006 11:31
Advice On Contracts Konuk Turkish Law 3 02-12-2005 09:22
Correct Advice? Konuk Turkish Law 6 28-10-2005 19:08

THS Sunucusu bu sayfayı 0,04149103 saniyede 15 sorgu ile oluşturdu.

Türk Hukuk Sitesi (1997 - 2016) © Sitenin Tüm Hakları Saklıdır. Kurallar, yararlanma şartları, site sözleşmesi ve çekinceler için buraya tıklayınız. Site içeriği izinsiz başka site ya da medyalarda yayınlanamaz. Türk Hukuk Sitesi, ağır çalışma şartları içinde büyük bir mesleki mücadele veren ve en zor koşullar altında dahi "Adalet" savaşından yılmayan Türk Hukukçuları ile Hukukun üstünlüğü ilkesine inanan tüm Hukukseverlere adanmıştır. Sitemiz ticari kaygılardan uzak, ücretsiz bir sitedir ve her meslekten hukukçular tarafından hazırlanmakta ve yönetilmektedir.