Şifre

Turkish Law English forum dedicated to Turkish Law

Question regarding Turkish citizenship and army service; UK

Yanıt
Old 01-12-2009, 00:25   #1
Konuk

Varsayılan Question regarding Turkish citizenship and army service; UK

I am 22 years old.

I was born in Turkey and was adopted when I was 4 and brought to England where I have lived ever since.

My question is; could I cancel my Turkish citizenship and go to Turkey as a tourist/British Citizen without being taken by the army to do the army service as is required by those who like me were born in Turkey?

To me it seems strange that I can't even go to Turkey as a British Citizen and not renew my Turkish citizenship?

I don't wish to return to Turkey to live, simply to go for a couple of weeks a year to visit family.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-12-2009, 19:36   #2
Konuk anatolian tiger

Varsayılan

I understand that you do not want to do national service in Turkey, and for what it takes you do not care about citizenship?

First of all I advise you to go to the Turkish consulate in London or in Edinburgh, addresses are follows

28 Rutland Square
Edinburgh
Midlothian
Scotland
EH1 2BW
Phone: 0131 221 6590

Rutland Lodge, Rutland Gardens, Knightsbridge, LONDON SW7 1BW
Tel:020 7589 0949 Fax:020 7591 6911 E-Mail: turkishconsulate@btconnect.com

Secondly, I understand a bit unreliable in your action and fear to go to Turkey. Because as a double nationality person you have right to defer national service untill the age of 38....

Also, yes you can always go to Turkey as a tourist Brisitish citizen, but you have to issue visa in the airport and if somehow you stay longer without permission as a tourist, you may be prosecuted....

I advice you to think twice, before cancelling your Turkish citizenship, because in that case, you will loose any rights that you may have/had/would have in Turkey....

So, I will tell you what my friends do in UK, -who have double nationality- they defer the military service untill 30s and then they just pay some money and go for it 1 month and enjoy.... Also they use turkish passport while going into Turkey and Uk passport for everywhere else. A honest suggestion for citizenship, just think by yourself, do not let friends or relatives etc to confuse your mind...

It is simple to defer it from the consulate, for any inquiries just ask to the consulate officers, they will be happy to guide you in the most appropriate way, honestly I did not understand why you were not able to go to Turkey because of military service!
Old 05-12-2009, 22:33   #3
Konuk

Varsayılan

Thank you for your very honest and well thought out reply.

I really appreciate it.

Yasin Akgun
Old 07-12-2009, 13:45   #4
Konuk

Varsayılan

No problems.......
Old 29-01-2010, 01:59   #5
Konuk

Varsayılan

I have a friend that has dual citizenship with Turkey and the US. He has lived in the US nearly all his life. He is now 55 years old. His Turkish father passed away a few years ago and he has been told that he has left him his estate. Here is the question? Will he be able to go to Turkey to deal with the estate issue without being arrested for not serving in the Turkish Army. He didn't even know until a few years ago that he was required to do so. Apparently his citizenship may have been revoked many years ago because he did not serve. The other factor is, unfortunately, he also has a conviction here in the US on a sex offense charge. Can he go to Turkey at all with that charge?
Old 29-01-2010, 14:57   #6
law-of-economics

Varsayılan

Army service in that condition can be best clarified through Turkish Consulates in the US. He can get the best suggestion from there.

As an explanation in similar conditions, even if someone over-aged 40s, somehow deferred or delayed military service. The reasons should be questioned as well as his health condition should be checked by the official procedure.

For your knowledge, in general, someone aged over 50s will have some natural health problems which will cause another procedure to dismiss the military obligation because of health problems.

Also for dual citizens and Turkish workers abroad, there are certain rules to complete the national service untill the age of 40s. If not hte citizenship might be cancelled. And another procedure has to be followed, to regain the citizenship rights.

But, I repeat, the best address in your friends situation is the nearest Turkish Consulate in the US. His charges in the may only affect *I guess* if it prevents him to go abroad....
Old 02-08-2011, 00:49   #7
JaleAslan

Varsayılan Dual Citizenship and military service

Hello,
my partner was born in Turkey, his father is Turkish and his mother is English. After his father passed away, he returned to live in England with his mother back in 1991. Since then he has never returned to Turkey (apart from a few short family holidays until 1994). He is now 34.

I myself am Turkish but was born in England (hence the lack of Turkish language) and together we have two children who we would love to take to Turkey and introduce to our long lost relatives, but cant afford the "dovizli askerlik" and couldn't even afford the time he would need to take off from work to do the month that is required of him. So I have been looking into other options.

I've read that he can delay his service until the age of 38 but have come up against some problems.

First of all his "nufus" is out of date which I guess we will have to renew (?). I have been trying to get an appointment via the London Turkish Consulate but for some reason his "nufus number" is not being accepted. Could this be because it is very out of date? How else will I be able to get an appointment?

I have all the other required documents including his British Citizenship certificate and old British and Turkish passports but the site says that they will need to see the stamp when he entered the UK. Well, there is no stamp on either passports because he is a dual citizen. I guess he entered the Uk with his British Passport (?) So what else can I show to prove his date of entry? And is this all that necessary as it was so many years ago (1991). We have his old school letters and reports from when he started school in England (a few weeks after he arrived) Would that be sufficient?

On the other hand, he has lived in England most of his life and has no real or emotional connections to the country in which he was born and no intentions to ever live there either. We have read on various forums that he could give up his Turkish Citizenship and therefore enter Turkey for a holiday as any other tourist would. Is this possible? If so what problems could this cause in the future? Would we have to go through the "erteleme" process in order for this to happen? I read that otherwise it may not be accepted as he is probably seen as a "kacak" due to his age. Is this true? Also, do you know how long this process could take? Are we talking months or years? Is there a way we could find out what his status is? (ie "kacak" etc) My brother is in a similar predicament and when we went to the Turkish Consulate with him recently, they didn't have any idea of who he was and therefore had no status. Not sure if he has one now that he as renewed his "nufus". Is there a way we could check this without causing unnecessary attention to ourselves?

We have even looked into the option of his health being a reason to cancel any possibility of him needing to do his military at all. He has Sturge- Weber syndrome which potentially could cause serious neurological problems one day. Currently it has caused Glaucoma in his right eye. He uses two different drops to control the pressure but so far it doesn't seem to be doing much good as the pressure is increasing. How would we go about getting this checked by a military hospital whilst in the UK? Are there centres that we can go to or is this something that needs to be done in Turkey?

Which of these three options do you think would take the shortest time to sort? I was thinking that maybe we should go for the "erteleme" option as then at least by 38 we'll have a few years to look into permanently canceling his military service due to his health or simply revoke his Turkish Citizenship. Does this make sense to you?

As you can probably see, we have tried very hard to research this on the web, especially with our minimal Turkish but its very hard to know what sites to trust. I hope you can help us.

Kindest regards,
Jale and Aslan
Old 03-08-2011, 21:27   #8
Konuk

Varsayılan

Hi
I will try to write one by one;

First of all having dual nationality seems an opprtunity from my perspective but varies to every individual. So it is up to you, wether to devide keeping Turkish nationality or give it up. But keep in your mind that *regardless what people say* even you would only go for holidays with British citizenship, having a local nationality(Turkish) will help you in many practical official cases. Such as owning a property for holidays, having a second address, or even some legal issues of heritance etc..

Legally for your partner , it is possible to delay untill age of 38 and you should follow it through the Turkish Consulate in London.

If there are some problems occuring with the ID number of him, possibly, but not officially; the guys in the consulate are regular working people and sometimes they are not bothered to deal with problematic issues. That is the address that you can contact and handle all issues whilst you are in the UK... If it seems that they are lack of helping you, about the proof of the nationality; then I advise you/your partner to check out the nationality records of his father. I do not know if his father have registered him to Turkish Citizenship, but e should have done it; as I understand he has an old type ID card (Nüfus Cüzdanı). Turkish Consulate is in charge and OBLIGED to renew the ID cards of Turkish Citizens who are in abroad....

If there is something wrong, then ask the guys in the Consulate to provide an official proof of citizenship either himself or his father (they usually request the records from Turkey, called "Nüfus Kayıt Örneği" or some sort of official registry from the governmental body in Turkey, if they do it it may take quite a long time. Mostly people request it by their self/or friends, relatives etc in Turkey, which makes the process quicker)

But main issue is that they have to match UK documents and official documents from Turkey and clarify the citizenship.

Also I may misunderstand one point; Turkish consulate is working through appointments for many requests, but you can also pop-in directly; or call in order to get an answers for the procedure to follow. My advice is to call directly and get action according to what they say...

This process may seem lots of red tape, but mainly all countries' consulates suffer to help officially in similar situations; even if you loose your British passport in abroad, the British Consulate would treat like a fraudster... this is what experience say...

Anyway it seems that somehow you can clarify it properly, but as I said it will take some time and some efforts. It is completely up to you wehather to follow it o not.

Also about the health issues and the national service; there are some sort of regulations that prevent people with permenant health problems to go to military. And in this case, certain people will be exempted completely from national service. Once a friend of mine did his health check in a UK hospital and they accepted at that time; but it was by his chance. Probably they may ask the health check to be done in a Turkish governmental or military hospital...

LAst advise is that because, (what I understand) he never checked for national service from the consulate, probably he would be in "kaçak". After clarifying the citizenship papers , first thing to do is to confirm this from the consulate and do the necessary paperwork in order to defer it at the moment. Afterwards, the "dövizli askerlik" or any other health confirmation is the next stage...
Old 04-08-2011, 17:31   #9
JaleAslan

Mutlu

Thank you for your help
Old 07-01-2013, 08:12   #10
Konuk

Varsayılan

Me and my siblings have U.S. and Turkish citizenship because of our parents but we live in the U.S. right now. I know that my brother has to do the mandatory military service but I've heard that if you fight in another country's army you lose your U.S. citizenship. Is there anyway prevent that from happening when the time comes?
Old 16-10-2013, 16:25   #11
Konuk

Varsayılan dual nationality and entering a british armed force

my son has dual natioality he was born in britain and has lived here all his life we got him turkish nationality just after he was born because his father is turkish he now wants to enter the royal navy who say he needs a letter saying the turkish army will not require him for national service now or in the future after ringing the turkish consulate they say they can not do this because his kimlik card was issued in turkey and so he is turkish can you help with some advice thankyou
Old 21-10-2013, 00:49   #12
Av.Kadir ORUÇ

Varsayılan

Alıntı:
Yazan Konuk
my son has dual natioality he was born in britain and has lived here all his life we got him turkish nationality just after he was born because his father is turkish he now wants to enter the royal navy who say he needs a letter saying the turkish army will not require him for national service now or in the future after ringing the turkish consulate they say they can not do this because his kimlik card was issued in turkey and so he is turkish can you help with some advice thankyou

Dear Konuk (Guest),

According to the 1st Article of the Military Service Law numbered 1111, every male subject of the Turkish Republic is obliged to do military service.

Military service of the persons having more than one nationality has been regulated in the last paragraph of the second Article of the same Law and that Article authorises the Council of Ministers to regulate that matter.

A decision of the Council of Ministers dated July 5,1993 and numbered 93/4613 pursuant to that Article entered into force by being published on the Official Gazette dated July 5,1993 and numbered 21648.

Let me continue to try to answer your question by trying to translate explanations quoted from http://www.asal.msb.gov.tr/

(NATIONAL DEFENCE MINISTRY, RECRUITMENT DEPARTMENT, OFFICIAL WEB SITE,
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS OF OUR CITIZENS HAVING MORE THAN ONE NATIONALITY)

QUESTION:
Whether military service which fulfilled in countries other than ones specified by the Council of Ministers deemed valid or not in Turkey?

According to this decision (numbered 93/4613) which ones of the persons having more than one nationality under military service obligation and in which countries of their services have been considered valid in Turkey will be regulated by the Ministry of Defence. And according to this; military services fulfilled in Austria, Syria, Norway,Greece and Tunisia are deemed valid in Turkey. In addition to that;

a)Since compulsory service has been revoked in Netherland, this country has been taken out of the list beginning from the date of January 1,1997.

b)Since compulsory service has been revoked in Belgium, this country has been taken out of the list beginning from the date of January 1,1998.

c)Since obligations of military service of the persons born after December 31,1978 have been suspended beginning from the date of January 1,1999 in France, applications of the persons born after that date will not be accepted.

d)Since compulsory military service has been revoked beginning from the persons born in 1985 in Italy, this country has been crossed off beginning from the date of January 1,2005. Applications of the persons younger than ones born in 1985 (included) will not be accepted.

e)Since compulsory service has been revoked in Sweden, this country has been taken out of the list on the date of July 1,2010.

f)Since compulsory service has been revoked in Germany, this country has been taken out off the list on the date of July 1,2011.

Military services fulfilled before revoked in the countries mentioned in the (a-f) articles above, will be deemed valid (performed) in Turkey.

Military services fulfilled in any other country other than those countries, can not be deemed valid in the Republic of Turkey.

I think you can evaluate your son's situation yourself.

Best regards.
Old 16-12-2017, 18:37   #13
Konuk

Varsayılan

Hi,
Please need advice regarding Turkish citizenship. My son 6 months old and he is a British citizen. His father has a dual citizenship - Turkish and British and his mom has only British citizenship. My question: can my son get a dual citizenship like his father?
Old 25-12-2017, 19:33   #14
Av.Kadir ORUÇ

Varsayılan

Alıntı:
Yazan Konuk
Hi,
Please need advice regarding Turkish citizenship. My son 6 months old and he is a British citizen. His father has a dual citizenship - Turkish and British and his mom has only British citizenship. My question: can my son get a dual citizenship like his father?

Dear Konuk;

"TURKISH CITIZENSHIP ACT NUMBERED 5901 AND DATED JUNE 12,2009:

Lineage

ARTICLE 7- (1) A child born to a Turkish citizen father or mother in marriage union, whether in Turkey or abroad, is a Turkish citizen.

(2) A child born to a Turkish citizen mother and an alien father out of marriage union is a Turkish citizen.

(3) A child born to a Turkish citizen father and an alien mother out of marriage union acquires Turkish citizenship in case the principles and procedures providing establishment of lineage are fulfilled."

So if your child born in marriage (formally) he will obtain Turkish citizenship according to paragraph (1).

If your child born out of marriage (if his father and mother were not married when he was born) he may obtain Turkish citizenship according to paragraph (3) above.

Best regards
Kadir ORUÇ
Old 08-04-2018, 13:26   #15
safwen

Varsayılan amri

salam alaikum i am a tunisian citizen and i want to go to trucia and live there so how can i do that and also i want to ask if i cant join the turkish army and vote
Yanıt

Şu anda Bu Konuyu Okuyan Ziyaretçiler : 1 (0 Site Üyesi ve 1 konuk)

Konu Araçları Konu İçinde Arama
Konu İçinde Arama:

Detaylı Arama

Forum Listesi

Benzer Konular
Konu Konuyu Başlatan Forum Yanıt Son Mesaj
Turkish citizenship Konuk Turkish Law 9 02-01-2012 17:54
Question about Turkish Code of Obligations Question Turkish Law 5 01-11-2009 11:17
Turkish citizenship for foreign students Alim Turkish Law 1 01-07-2008 10:13
Turkish Citizenship Law Kathy Turkish Law 1 30-01-2002 16:48

THS Sunucusu bu sayfayı 0,03364491 saniyede 14 sorgu ile oluşturdu.

Türk Hukuk Sitesi (1997 - 2016) © Sitenin Tüm Hakları Saklıdır. Kurallar, yararlanma şartları, site sözleşmesi ve çekinceler için buraya tıklayınız. Site içeriği izinsiz başka site ya da medyalarda yayınlanamaz. Türk Hukuk Sitesi, ağır çalışma şartları içinde büyük bir mesleki mücadele veren ve en zor koşullar altında dahi "Adalet" savaşından yılmayan Türk Hukukçuları ile Hukukun üstünlüğü ilkesine inanan tüm Hukukseverlere adanmıştır. Sitemiz ticari kaygılardan uzak, ücretsiz bir sitedir ve her meslekten hukukçular tarafından hazırlanmakta ve yönetilmektedir.